OUR BABY GIRL JULIA ROSE WAS BORN AND PASSED AWAY ON CHRISTMAS DAY, 2009. I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE JULIA'S AND OUR FAMILY STORY IN THE HOPES THAT OTHER MOMS GOING THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT JOURNEY OF HEARTACHE AND HEALING WILL FIND SOLACE.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A special bonding moment...

Yesterday I was at a cake course for making gum paste flowers. There were about 10 women taking this course, and of course, one of them was pregnant. So what do you think the conversation consisted of? Kid talk. A few of the other women also had young kids and the conversation kept on coming back to that. Usually I would have taken part in the conversation, but for some reason yesterday I didn't feel like it. I just sat there silent in my thoughts. I think I was afraid that I would be asked "How many?". I didn't feel like going there, especially when I was stuck in the room for 4 hours with them.

About half way through the class the girl next to me asked "Do you have any kids?" I paused, then answered "Yes." I was quiet for a minute or two then asked her "Do you?" She said "No. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt out of the loop with all this kid conversation going on." She asked "How many do you have?" Again, another pause from me. "Two. But one of them died." I felt compelled to go on. "She was born too early on Christmas Day. She was supposed to be due this Monday. I should be out to here right now." I don't remember what she said in response. Maybe nothing. But I was surprised at what she confided in me next. I could tell she didn't tell a lot of people, she was flushed and her voice was low. "My husband and I have been trying for a few years now with IVF, but we haven't got pregnant." I felt such empathy for her. All I could do was look at her and say "I'm so sorry." I felt like I had bonded with her on some level. I am also very glad that out of all the women in the class I sat next to her. Together we gave each other some comfort amidst all that kid talk. We were not so isolated in our thoughts after that.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you sat next to each other, too. And that she felt free to share as you, also, felt free to share. This makes me thinks of my past conversations before we lost Rebekah. This definitely makes you more sensitive to others and their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had to endure the kid talk, but am glad you were next to someone whom you could actually talk to. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete